Sunday, September 5, 2010

On the Subject of Random Acts.


So I'm a big fan of the television show Supernatural. I only started watching it a couple of months ago, and I'm ready to get caught up on the 5th season before the 6th starts. There's this character on the show, an angel, Castiel, who is pretty much one of the greatest characters ever aside from the brothers Winchester themselves. Cas is played by the incredible Misha Collins. I remember him as Bret from ER back before I stopped watching it, and I think he was in Girl, Interrupted too. Misha and the rest of the cast of Supernatural are very, very in touch and hands on with their fanbase, and it's really a very beautiful thing.

Well anyhow, today, Misha took a run for his non-profit organization, Random Acts... raising money for three orphanages in Haiti and flood relief in Pakistan.





He ran for 83 kilometers - about 51.5 miles - in 11 hours, and the total amount raised through this moment in donations is nearly $30,000, and that's not including all the pledges-per-km that are being calculated and collected and what not, though I have heard in a few places the combined total is somewhere in the neighborhood of $100,000 (one pledger put forth $50 per km!!!!). We may not have the actual, complete total raised for a few days because donations are still pouring in and so are a few pledges.

I'm awfully impressed at the speed and effort put forth into the Random Acts project, from the initial donation effort for the earthquake victims in Haiti to the now world-wide effort by everyone involved. It's an overwhelmingly fantastic and uplifting movement.

Misha inspired me today to continue with my effort for this run and Tuesday when I report for my first full day of work with my new job I'm going to be asking the HR directors and my hiring staff what I can do to be a part of giving back to the community further than the store's service, and how they might be able to help me with my own run. Every day has been getting easier and more exciting for me to work towards my own goals and simply being able to see (and be a part of) a cause like Misha's gives me this ridiculous amount of courage and determination. I hope that you'll take a second to give the organization and what it stands for a look, and decide to do some random acts of your own.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be positive!!